Tuesday 26 May 2015

Unique Kidz and Co - Charity Ball Film



We have a long association with local charity, Unique Kidz and Co.  Now based in Morecambe, Unique Kidz and Co is an organisation which was set up by two women who felt that there was a gap in after school and holiday provision for their disabled children.  There was nothing, so they set something up themselves.  How amazing is that?  I read somewhere that having a child with a disability is the surest way to throw families into poverty - and I imagine that is largely because of the lack of provision like Unique Kidz.  How can you go out to work, if you cannot find people to look after your children after school?  It sort of stands to reason really.

Anyway, Jane and Denise from Unique Kidz engaged Gorgeous Media to produce a film about their charity in 2012.  I produced it for their Charity Ball but also as a piece which they could take around with them to present to potential funders and of course stream on their website.  I spent a few weeks that summer filming the children and staff who were busy playing on their holiday scheme.  It was great fun - I went on trips, I filmed their Glee Club, I filmed them swimming, playing, picnicking and partying! I went over there little and often to capture as large a range of activities as possible in a short time.  The focus is child-centred and so there was always something to film.  I also interviewed some of the children, some of the parents and Jane and Denise.  We produced a very special film that summer and told a very important story.  I watched that first film a few weeks ago whilst I was producing their latest Charity Ball film, and it still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck!





In 2013, Jane and Denise invited me to their annual ball as their guest.  Now, when you have a normal run-of-the-mill job, you rarely get thanked or recognised, even when you do amazing work... that's why I love working as Gorgeous Media! I felt that the invite was a great honour and to be honest I couldn't quite get my head around, "what? they've invited me? Me?".  I have to say, I loved every drop of the evening (and every drop of wine that flowed during the evening too!).  I think that that recognition and thanks probably ranks really highly in my memory bank of good things that happen.  See how far kindness can go?

I've filmed many times for Unique Kidz since.  Our ideas and films have got a bit wackier every now and again, and they are fun to produce.  What I do see when I look at the films is a growth in confidence of who Unique Kidz is and where it's going.  Filming for them has been a privilege - I want to do the right thing for them and I feel the responsibility of telling their story in a sensitive, respectful way too.  This year, Unique Kidz and Co's Charity Ball was at Garstang Golf Club.  It's been an exciting year for them - they have moved into their new premises on Woodhill Lane in Morecambe.  It's always lovely to go back - I now see children that I first met three years ago, so you can imagine how they have grown and changed.  I do hope that my association with Unique Kidz and Co continues - I'd love to be around filming when they become and National Charity and when they extend their provision for young people over the age of 18.

Film is brilliant, you see:  I am not just making films about things which come and go.  With Unique Kidz, we now have a body of work which chronicles the development of a local charity over time.  Every film we produce for them, whether it be a big documentary or a 3 minute montage to celebrate Autism Awareness Day, everything forms part of a collection of films which tells a bigger story.  Now that's just special :)

No comments:

Post a Comment